domingo, 23 de noviembre de 2014

A thousand splendid suns

A thousand splendid suns

I read this book two years ago. At that time I was unemployed, so I had a lot of time to know new books. I read many books, but that one made me feel as if I was there. It is not a true story, but it could be.

The author is Khaled Hosseini who also wrote "The kite runner", a bestseller that I read too, this is the reason why I wanted to read his second novel.
The book talks about a period of fifty years, from 1960s to 2003 and it tells us the story of two Afgan women with an age difference of twenty and how their lives are joined to one husband. They are both married to Rasheed, who is constantly abusing them physically and verbally. Initially, Mariam, Rasheed's first wife, is jealous of Laila, but she soon realizes that she really needs a friend. 
It caught my attention because of the courage of these women,  in spite of the abuse in the hands of their husband and the abusive treatment of women by the Talibans.
I recommend reading this book to everyone, but mainly to women. It made me think how different can your life be depending where you are born.

Rosa Santiago

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario